Installation in 4 EASY STEPS
We will put a FINGER FIT shank on most any ring!
- Shape customer’s ring to correct CLOSED finger size.
- Split top
of FINGER FIT shank and gently round to same CLOSED finger size on mandrell with rawhide or nylon mallet.
- Match ring and shank on mandrell exactly. Mark ring shoulder and FINGER FIT as far from hinges as practical. Cut excess from both. Ring top and FINGER FIT together should equal correct CLOSED
- Solder FINGER FIT to shoulder of ring. Emery to match and polish. Do not emery rivet caps. Polish rivet caps lightly so as to not remove or destroy rivet caps.
FINGER FIT guarantees availability of replacement parts for any Finger Fit shank manufactured since 1951.
Finger Fit Guide Wire Repair Instructions
If the guide wire has broken off:
- On the solid 1/4, drill a hole using a #72 drill to the depth of 3mm, lubricating the drill tip with oil or bee’s wax. Do not drill deeper or it will cut into the rivet wire on the cover catch.
- Inspect the new guide wire and knock off the burr on the round end of the guide wire 1/64” (this end goes into the solid 1/4). Test fit wire in the solid 1/4 – if hole is too tight ream out with a #71 drill. The wire will definitely fit. DO NOT drill any larger or the fit will be too loose.
- On the other end of the wire is a little paddle (the wire is flattened to a paddle shape). Nip the burr off the paddle end making sure not to clip off the whole paddle.
- Remove the wire from the solid 1/4.
- 5. Insert the paddle end into the tube 1/4 and gradually curve the wire to conform to the bend of the ring. DO NOT bend or curve the round end as the hole in the solid 1/4 is straight.
If the guide wire is still attached:
- Move the 1/4’s back and forth to make sure there are no snags except for the dimple on the tube. Wiggle the wire into the hole in the solid 1/4 as far as it will go.
- Close ring to make sure it closes all the way.
- Keep the ring closed but the cover catch open.
- To re-anchor the wire look for a dimple on the 1/4. Mimic the location of the dimple on the other side using a center punch type tool (not pin point sharp) to anchor the guide wire.
DO NOT REDIMPLE THE TUBE SIDE.
DO NOT TRY TO SOLDER THE GUIDE WIRE BACK IN, IT WILL NOT STAY (Guide wire is stainless steel).